CMY changer for studio spot 575 dichroic glass is broken

One of my CMY SS 575's was opened up today to swap out lenses for a show and they found a bunch of busted glass inside the head that appears to come from the color changer. The fixture was working fine for the last show and has been hanging on a rack for about 6 weeks. When the took it out to swap lenses they heard the noise and discovered the broken stuff.

The visiting LD is a electrician in the NYC and made some calls and it looks like these are not easy to find any more. Is this true? What are the recommendations for repairing? Can we pull the CMY and run without?

Thanks,
Ross

Ephrata Performing Arts Center
  • If you broke your CM&Y dicros I suggest you send in the head (remove 6-8 screws and it comes free of the fixture) They are all on one shaft and I will tell you getting it right is not easy for someone who is not used to the procedure. Getting the top collar pressure correct is very touchy. Then there is the issue of lubing the bearings and the shaft with Krytox.

If your not factory trained and have done this many times, save yourself a lot of hair pulling and send it in to Chris or find a qualified tech in your area who has done it before.:headbang:
  • Yes I will be sending it in to either Chris or LightParts. Everyone has been working on getting ready for opening night performance (tonight), so I haven't bugged anyone yet. I wanted to take a closer look to see how many are broken and which ones so that I can get an estimate on repairs. If too many are broken, I may just search for a replacement fixture and keep the rest of this one for spare parts.

When you say the head, do you mean the entire fixture head (take it off the yoke) or are you referring to the CMY portion of the head?

These are the first Studio Spots I have owned and I am not a certified tech and my local contacts are not either.

Thanks,
    Ross
Related