Cyberlight History

Hi guys,
Any Cyberlight experts in the forum?

I was trying to gather some information on the history/release dates of the Cyberlight models.

I can't afford a new 2.0 model and plus it's too powerful for me (2000 watts). So, i'm looking at getting a used model, however there are many to choose from and I can't seem to find a comparison sheet for the models. There's the Turbo, SV, CX and CL i believe.

I'm not sure what ones are the latter models or did they all come out at the same time, but have different levels of features?

Any help picking a solid problem free model would be appreciated. (Or would you buy one at all in favour of another brand) I know the old Intellibeams were mostly lemons...how are the CyberLights?

I miss the Trackspot. I wish Highend would bring out an "all purpose" scanner head light again. 250watts - 575watts - somewhere in that field - something that doesn't cost your left arm and your first born. It seems Martin is still making the 250 Watt SCX-700 light for average sized clubs.

It seems they are heading towards servicing the corporate sector instead of the Ten's of thousands of average nightclubs - shame.

Any help would be appreciated on the Cyberlight history (years they were released etc, and features).
  • If my memory serves me correctly, the CX is a limited capability, cheaper model. The CL, SV, and Turbo are pretty much the same fixture with zoom (the CX is fixed), focus, litho gobos, etc. The SV added a silent blower (SV = Studio Version) and the Turbo changed to a short arc lamp, added even more fans for cooling, and increased the output. Any variant can be converted to any other - they really are that close. And no matter the variant, they are all 1200 watt . . . and won't run on 120V power . . .

Oh, and the Turbo was in production right until the Cyberlight 2.0 was released. Not sure when the first ones came out though, but I am sure one of the HES guys will chime in in the morning.

And I take exception to Intellabeams being lemons! I still run some, and other than the bad card connectors (replace them once proactively, they never fail again!), they have been rock solid for years!

- Tim
  • Tim pretty much described the various models correct. You can find specific information on each type here:
    www.highend.com/support/discontinued/automated_luminaires/cyberlightturbo.asp

Just look at the technical data sheets to compare the specs.

Here are some dates from my memory:
    Cyberlight CL and CX 1994
    Cyberlight SV 1996
    Cyberlight Litho (same models as above with Lithos in place of metal gobos) 1997
    Cyberlight Turbo 2000 (created for the 2000 Olympics)
    Cyberlight 2.0 2009
  • Thanks tadawson and bradpepe. That explains it very well.

I still wish Highend would release a new "turbo" Trackspot. Something for the clubs. A 2000 watt 220V light is overkill for most bars.

The only options for this scanner market now are chinese lights or european. (Martin Scx-6700 / Elation/ ADJ etc). Bring it home guys, made in the USA again. Don't cater to just a few touring corporations, but remember the 10,000 bars out here too who will be retiring their trackspots in the next few years and ready and looking for a new "Turbo Trackspot" :P 575 Watts sounds nice - 120 Volts... Sounds about right :)
  • BPM,

The problem is that 95%+ of those bar/club owners really know nothing about the products they are buying and buy purely on price. Competiting against the low quality Chinese knock-offs on price just isn't practical.
  • [QUOTE=SBlair;49885]BPM,

The problem is that 95%+ of those bar/club owners really know nothing about the products they are buying and buy purely on price. Competiting against the low quality Chinese knock-offs on price just isn't practical.

THIS x 100! You get what you pay for.
  • [QUOTE=SBlair;49885]BPM,

Totally true. I DJ at a local bar and offered some suggestions to the owner about how to improve the lighting. He asked me for an idea, and I told him to return the $400 Chauvet laser fixtures he just bought at the local Guitar Center store and to give me the cash so I can go shop for some vintage solid-state lighting that doesn't suck...:notworthy:
Related