Cyberlight SV lamp, fan issue

Hi! I have a Cyberlight SV that lamp is striking about 10 minutes after turning on the fixture. I'm assuming it's overheat and the fan is not working because I couldn't feel the air. I'm trying to open it seeing if it's fan. But the diagram I found on the website doesn't match my fixture.
Can some awesome people help me ..
1. if the lamp keeps striking what the reason would be?
2. if it's the fan issue, where can I find the fan in side the fixture?

thank you very much!!
  • On the Cyber-SV, the main body fan is a long narrow squirrel cage blower that runs almost the entire length of the vent "ridge" atop the fixture. On mine, when those blowers are on, the is no question . . . there is quite a large blast of air that comes out the vented side of the ridge.

I assume that you mean that the lamp loses strike for a while, and then restrikes . . . if so, and your fan is out, that pretty much has to be an overtemp situation . . .

- Tim
  • Hi Tim thank you very much

yes, that's what I saw in my fixture, a long blower. I heard other of my cybers are a lot of noise from fans but not this and no air comes out.
    is the fan out of order will be the only reason that cause overtemp?

thanks
  • It could be one of three things - either a bad fan, or the fan control circuit on the PCB, or simply the cable to the fan is loose or bad. Considering that there are no other fans on the Cyber-SV, you can't simply see if something else is running . . . and changing the fan is less than trivial.

First, see if the fan is free to rotate . . . if so, it then is most likely not at fault, and you will need to pull the back of the fixture open, and check the fan connectors on the main PCB and ensure that the fan is indeed plugged in. Also check fuse F4 - it is for nothing but the fans, and if it is open, they won't run. Assuming that the fuse is good, you should see 24V DC across all three fan connectors (note that the fan circuit is switched on the ground side, so you should also see 24V DC to ground from the fan connectors at all times . . . If there is a problem with the fan control, then T3 and T4 are your next place to look - T4 switches the power, and T3 is a buffer. (All this is on page 7 of the schematic available online from High End).

And yes, with no fan, the fixture will definitely overhead. The heat in the Turbo is such a load, they add two more fans to the one already on the -SV. Myself, I'm amazed that you get 10 minutes . . . Oh, and a faulty temp switch can also cause an errant overtemp, but trust me, with the fan off, that's not the problem . . . the fans on a Cyber run constantly, and are not temp regulated, so if it's not running when the fixture strikes, you found the cause of the overtemp!

- Tim
  • Thanks Tim

It's really helpful....
    I'll take a look see if I can totally make it...

Thank you very much!!

Chengwei
  • Hi guys,

I'm new on the forum, and the club I currently work for has 6 cyberlights SV's.
    Every one of them is labelled spare and has some errors.

One cyber has a problem with the fan, when the rig is on the ground and give the fan a swing sometimes it runs, or stops after max. 10 seconds.

Could it be a simple problem or schould I replace the whole fan?

The club insists that I use these fixtures untill the end of the year...

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Mark
  • Read my post #4 above - until you verify that the fan is getting correct power, replacing the fan, in my opinion, is a complete waste of time. That, and the power control transistor driving the fan will hit you about $5, and the fan a couple of hundred . . . which one would you rather be wrong on? To me, the fan is a last resort . . . but be sure that it spins freely. If it is tight (dry bearings, or similar) it could be slow and the quit when it heats up. If so, you can try adding some lube, but likely the bearings are gone and you can't save it . . .

- Tim
Related