Road Hog and WYSIWYG information

Hey guys,
I am interested in using WYSIWYG with the Roadhog console. I am curious to know if this is possible. If so, I would like to get some information on what needs to be purchased in order to make it work. If i have done my research correctly, I think i will only need a programming wing and the WYSIWYG software. Also, any feedback on WYSIWYG software would be great. I am thinking of using CAST. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
  • As the Roadhog does not have any networking capabilities, if you want the console to control it directly, you will need a Wyg-it 2 from Cast for every 2 universes of DMX you want to input into Wyg.

The OTHER option would be to load the show onto Hog3PC and connect on the same computer (if that would work for you). Then you could add a wing to Hog3PC and control it within the same computer.
  • Let me double check to make sure I understand this correctly:

OPTION 1: Because the Roadhog does not have networking capabilities I have to use Wyg-it 2 from Cast in order to use the show i create using WYSIWYG. If this is correct, can I use just the programming wing to use as an interface to program through WYSIWYG? And, once programmed, I will be able to transfer the file from WYSIWYG to the Roadhog and then run the show

OPTION 2: I could purchase Hog3PC and run it on the same computer WYSIWYG is on. I could then purchase the programming wing and use that as an interface to program through WYSIWYG. Could I then transfer the show file to the Roadhog and run the show?

*NOTE: I do not own the Roadhog console, the production company I work for does. Ideally, I would like to be able to program at home using the programming wing. Thanks again for helping
  • [QUOTE=firsthattiesburg;49703]
    OPTION 1: Because the Roadhog does not have networking capabilities I have to use Wyg-it 2 from Cast in order to use the show i create using WYSIWYG. If this is correct, can I use just the programming wing to use as an interface to program through WYSIWYG? And, once programmed, I will be able to transfer the file from WYSIWYG to the Roadhog and then run the show

The Wyg-it 2 is a DMX input device that hooks up to the Wyg computer via USB. So it would go CONSOLE -> WYGIT -> WYSIWYG. With Wysiwyg, it's just an interface to SEE what you're programming. You are still physically programming it on the console. So there would be no transferring back and forth. You program on the console...you save on the console. You're just hooked up to a computer instead of actual lights. The programming wing does nothing for Wysiwyg...it only works on Hog3 consoles and Hog3PC (see Option #2)

[QUOTE=firsthattiesburg;49703]
    OPTION 2: I could purchase Hog3PC and run it on the same computer WYSIWYG is on. I could then purchase the programming wing and use that as an interface to program through WYSIWYG. Could I then transfer the show file to the Roadhog and run the show?

Hog3PC is FREE...that's the best part. You would purchase the programming wing (if you desire to do so) and hook it up to the computer with Hog3PC. You don't HAVE to have the wing, but it does make life easier. WYSIWYG and Hog3PC will talk to each other within the same computer. The wing is talking to Hog3PC, not WYSIWYG. When you're done programming, save the show to a USB stick and load it into the Roadhog.

[QUOTE=firsthattiesburg;49703]
    *NOTE: I do not own the Roadhog console, the production company I work for does. Ideally, I would like to be able to program at home using the programming wing. Thanks again for helping

No problem...like I said, you can do the Hog3PC for free without a wing, but it's faster with the wing. I hope that all makes sense for you.
  • that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for your quick response. In your opinion, is Cast WYSIWYG a good product. After reviewing the product I feel like it is a powerful option and will do a great job. Also, do you have an estimate of a price for a new or used programming wing. After reviewing your post I feel that the second option is probably the better option for me, therefor I will need a programming wing. Thanks again
  • I've been a wyg owner and user since 1997. It's come a long way from back then. It's expensive to say the least, but for me, it's paid for itself with jobs and time. If you can afford it, then yes, I think it's worth it.

Keep in mind there are other options out there. Also, you don't HAVE to have a programming wing. I've programmed many a show with just Hog3PC and no wing. It can take a little longer, but as you learn the short cut keys, it can be fast too. Just trying to save you a little money. I'd try it without first and see if it works for you. You can always add it later if you want it.
  • Whatever you can afford...just make sure you can get the best graphics card you can and that it supports open gl.

I use a Mac Book Pro bootcamp with xp. Love the dual graphics card.
Related