LED Intensity PROBLEMS

kyle.e.higginbothamkyle.e.higginbotham Registered User
Hi, I am doing some youth camps this summer for a non-profit ministry. I am using some obscure fixtures (being non-profit, we don't have top-of-the-line gear), of which I have 10 LED Pars. They are manufactured by a company named CKC, out of China. To control the fixtures, I have a fader that controls the intensity of the fixture, and another fader that controls the color. In order to produce light, the fixture must have an intensity level (1-100), and a color intensity level (Red, Green, Blue, 1-100).

The problem I am experiencing is that when I move up the Intensity fader, the fixture snaps on at full for an instant, then goes to the level I set. The fixtures are also changing intensity when I change colors, then they will snap back to the level of the intensity fader when I move it.

This problem is very frustrating, and I am looking for a solution ASAP. I can provide a manual with DMX Protocol included.

Thanks,

Kyle

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2010
    what fixture profile are you using?
  • kyle.e.higginbothamkyle.e.higginbotham Registered User
    edited June 2010
    I built my own profile based on the DMX Protocol.

Here it is:
    1-Intensity (0-255) (0-100)
    2-NO Value (controls strobe, but I don't need strobe)
    3-Red (0-255) (0-100)
    4-Green (0-255) (0-100)
    5-Blue (0-255) (0-100)
    6-Amber (0-255) (0-100)
    7-NO VALUE

Thanks,

Kyle
  • edited June 2010
    If you patch the fixture as 7 desk channels, and move the intensity, do you see the same problem? If you look at the DMX output window, do you see the flicker there, or is it just on the fixture?

I'm trying to determine if the console is getting confused between the actual intensity, and the virtual (RBG) intensity, or if it is some kind of bug in the fixture's firmware.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2010
    You should also place a request for Steve in the libraries section to have a proper profile built for you.

I suspect Eric is correct & that you are experiencing a conflict within your profile regarding intensity. The console thinks of I-RGB parameters as separate intensities apart from any Master intensity. So you are seeing different parameters competing to set the intensity of the fixture.

If you mix your colors with CMY or HSI you should probably not have this problem.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Marty, I do mix the colors as CMY (The Red, Green, Blue, and Amber are addressed as Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and CTO.), and I am still experiencing the problem. I think it might be the HTP or priority settings. What should I set as the HTP and priority settings? Does it make a difference that they are on different pages? (I have all my pages set to "Leave In Background")

Eric, I haven't tried to patch one as 7 desk channels yet. I will try that, but I would rather not, because I have pre-programmed cuelists that will be messed with.

I will reference Steve for a correct fixture profile. I have two other types of fixtures that need profiles as well.

Thanks,

Kyle
  • edited June 2010
    > I will try that, but I would rather not, because
    > I have pre-programmed cuelists that will be messed with.

You don't have to change any of your cuelists. Just patch 7 unused slots on a spare DMX universe somewhere and temporarily readdress the fixture to respond there. All we're trying to do is determine if it's a bug in the fixture's firmware, or something in how the console is handling the profile.
    edited July 2010
    Hey Guys,

I ran some tests on the fixtures, tried everything i knew to do, and I think i have pinpointed the problem to the fixtures themselves. They are Chinese after all..

Thanks Guys,

Kyle