(2773) Bug Report: Extreme Lag in Cue Playback

z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
Name: Phil Gilbert
Date: 6/14/10
Software Version and build number: V3.1.6 (Build 2773)
Number of displays:
Connected USB Devices: (2) Touch Screens
Networked Devices: (2) Hog 3 / (6) DP2000
Detailed description of the problem including instructions to reproduce (if possible) and exact syntax used:

(I've e-mailed this show file to Brad.)

Cuelist 8 is the main show. As we play back cues, there is anywhere from a 1-2 second delay from when we hit GO to when a cue fires and then there is a very jerky start to the cue. This seems to be more pronounced the farther we are in to the cuelist. (You will see that we have updated the paths of most of these cues to 'Speed Up' to try to alleviate some of this. Please look at the same cues with default paths as well.)

The Hogs and DPs are set up on the same port with all different user numbers. All devices are on the same network. The show is patched with each universe cloned to its 'B' device. i.e. DP-A1 is cloned to DP-B1.

Please let me know what other information you need.

PG

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited June 2010
    Hey Phil,

I am getting your setup prepared in the lab for testing. I'll let you know this afternoon what I am able to turn up on this one.
    edited June 2010
    Oh wow. This is terrible. When did it start to get this slow? Is this an old show file?
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Brand @#$!@#$ new.
    edited June 2010
    So was it performing this terribly during all programming or was it just getting slower little by little or was there a moment went it just went bonkers?
    edited June 2010
    I believe it's been this way from the start. We started programming this a few days ago.

I'll have to verify that with Troy, who's programming.

It's been pretty ugly.

At first I thought it might have been non-upgraded DPs, but they're all running at 75MHz.

PG
    edited June 2010
    We're also seeing a lot of 0s fade times recorded when we update cues.

PG
    edited June 2010
    Any advice? We have our show in the morning.

PG
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited June 2010
    Can you try removing the cloned DPs? If I understand your setup correctly, you have 3 DPs worth of output, but each universe is being output twice on two different DPs. Do you see the same behavior if each universe is only on a single DP?
    edited June 2010
    So far the only thing I have deduced is that on v3.0.5 this show file doesn't suffer from this poor DP2K performance. Version 3.1.0 was a major development effort with a number of code changes and somewhere in that release the DP 2000s must have been effected in a way that puts them in a poor position for shows like this one.

The developers and myself are currently looking at this in the lab but it might be wise to downgrade to 3.0.5 for your show. I hate recommending this at the last minute but with your show file the DP performance is depreciated enough that I can't imagine running a show in that state.
    edited June 2010
    Chris,

We dealt with it through the show. I assume this has been logged at this point.

While I will be sure not to accept any more DP-2000s in the future (especially on shows with a very full patch), I know that there are a lot of people out there who are using them. I hope that you can integrate a similar setup into the usual barrage of tests that you do on release software in the future.

Thanks,

Phil
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited June 2010
    z6p6tist6;47982 said:
    While I will be sure not to accept any more DP-2000s in the future
    As everybody know that DP 2000 had and will always had troubles, all should have been replaced by DP 8000. I know that it would cost a lot but the buyer should not have to endure all the errors!
  • Cmy.dkCmy.dk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Hi Chris.

I am experiencing the same problems with a show programmed on version 3.0.5.
    I'm only using a single DP2000 connected directly with crossover cable.

I have upgraded with a full 3.0.6 version, because I thought the problem was something to do with MARK cues, but it is hanging 1-1.5 sec throughout my entire show. I have 3 fully patched universes and 30 channels on the last universe.

I had the same problems on 3.0.5
    Can I send you the show file ?

Thanks
    edited June 2010
    V3.1.6 and V3.1.5

:-(
    edited June 2010
    Yes Johnny please send me your show file.
    edited June 2010
    Hey Johnny,

I am looking at your show file with DP2K right now. I can see a similar slow down and the development team is working on this problem right now.

Phil,

We are currently using your show as a benchmark for testing fixes to this and trying to get our DP2K performance back up to par in these kinds of show files.
  • rbrighamrbrigham Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2010
    Chris,

What do you mean by "these kinds of show files"? Maxed out channel counts?

-RB
    edited June 2010
    Not neccessarily maxed out channel counts but rather heavily patched DP2Ks with lots of large cues (several fixtures in each cue) that have lots of palette references.

The good news is I am testing a build this morning that has lots of promise for fixing this performance issue. Stayed tuned.
    edited June 2010
    Wow I cant wait to hear from you;-)

I have a few dp2000s and must say that upgrading to dp8000s would be to expensive.

Could you please explain to mé what the differents is between the to dp 2-8s. ? What dó I get when buying a dp8000 and Will it be nessarry to keep up with new desk features?

Thanks
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Cmy.dk;48149 said:
    Could you please explain to mé what the differents is between the to dp 2-8s. ? What dó I get when buying a dp8000 and Will it be nessarry to keep up with new desk features?

In a nutshell:
    DP-2000 - 4 universes only, no full ArtNet or ACN support - historically has problems when loaded up fully due to lack pf processing power - 100 mbps ethernet port

DP-8000 - 16 universes, full ArtNet as well as ACN functionality, has no performance issues even when fully loaded up - 1000 mbps ethernet ports

Since the DP-2000 has been discontinued for nearly 2 years now, I would expect that at some point there will be a move to exclude DP-2000 from new software builds....who knows if that will be next month or 5 years from now.

Personally I have considered all of my DP-2000s to be at "end of life" and replaced them with DP-8000s. I consider the DP-8000 to be the only "acceptable" processor when doing specifications at this point. DP-2000 is obsolete.

DP-8000 makes the desk "feel" like an entirely new console.

You have to decide when the best time is for yourself to upgrade....but if you are looking to the future you will want to do it as soon as you are able.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited June 2010
    Hi Marty.

Thanks!
    This makes mé change my mind about upgrading.

So, soon there will be problems to alle the widget users. ????

Thank you
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Cmy.dk;48199 said:
    So, soon there will be problems to alle the widget users. ????

Widgets should not be affected because they don't actually do any processing....they just transmit DMX signals. The processing is transferred to the main CPU of the computer or console the widget is hooked up to.

For example you can hook up widgets to the rear USB ports on DP-8000 to gain access to more of the 16 available universes via 5-pin connectors (as opposed to ArtNet for example).
  • foxriderfoxrider Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2010
    c_muenchow;48146 said:
    Not neccessarily maxed out channel counts but rather heavily patched DP2Ks with lots of large cues (several fixtures in each cue) that have lots of palette references.

The good news is I am testing a build this morning that has lots of promise for fixing this performance issue. Stayed tuned.
    Hi Chris,

any updates for this new build? Sent you a PM.
    edited August 2010
    Yes, there are DP2000 performance improvements on the upcoming 3.1.7 that should resolve your problem. Check your inbox.