Lose of CMA conectivity

stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
edited July 2010 in Axon
V1.5.4

Last night I could not connect to my axon from my normal PC (which is dedicated to this use, with no internet access) -- I tried another PC, and a mac with no luck .. it never showed up. Direct cable, auto assigned IP. I tried putting it on a router, my laptop got the IP, as did the AXON. I then booted with the local CMA, and it would "see" it but then said something like "could not connect to remote"

This has happened 2 or 3 times before (and it always seems to sense when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to screw around) -- Any idea what could cause that?

It play back media normally, with no issues. I only have a small amount of custom content on the device.

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2010
    Stephen...

I had this happen recently also. Here is the thread along with Matt's response of what helped.

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=9089
    There was a BETA build of software that went out sometime last year (b1704) that has caused some serious problems with CMA communication in conjunction with a DHCP network. Basically, any DL/Axon server that was upgraded to 1704, and then to any other version of software will have issues communicating with the CMA when running under DHCP.

To be sure this is the issue, can you change your ArtNet settings in the DP8000 to run in the 169.254.x.x range, and then take the DHCP router out of the network? At least temporarily to test. If you do this and you get all of your DLs back in the network, then this is the issue you are running into.

The best way we have found to fix it (and bear with me here, it will sound strange) is to plug the router back into the network, connect an active internet connection into the router, then reboot the DL/Axons servers and allow them to fully boot. Once they come back up, you should see them all in the CMA. As long as they are back in the network at this point, the problem will be permanently cured.

I know it sounds weird, but it worked for me.
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2010
    Does it really need internet access? I mean, the DHCP network I connected it into was my hognet (So it was given 172.31.x.x) I was still unable to access the axon when I rebooted everything on the DHCP network. I'll try and give the boys @ HES a call tomorrow or tuesday.
    edited June 2010
    Yes, mine needed to see the "internet" access in order to come around.

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the XPe, but I don't remember directly.

I too have mine on DHCP networks and still could not see the system. The only "workaround" I found was to unplug the network and reboot. Once booted, I could then see the local CMA. I could load content, etc. and then have to plug the network back in and reboot to get back under Artnet control.

Ever since I did Matt's recommendation, I haven't had any problems connecting both on the "local" CMA and over the network.
    edited June 2010
    That's easier said than done in my case. Mine is in a rack, in a venue where hard-wired internet isn't available.
    edited June 2010
    So I tried your suggestion and same errors. I'm still unable to connect to the CMA.
    edited June 2010
    http://www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/AxonCMAConnectivity.asp

This is what I found on the support site, but apparently, it didn't work for you.
    edited June 2010
    I never had that beta on this server. It came out of the box with 1.4.0, and was left there until I upgraded it directly to 1.5.4. It's always been a production machine. So I'm at a loss as to why this would happen. I'm bitting the bullet and going to re-image, though I will be totally screwed if I can't get the CMA to work as all my custom content won't be able to be reloaded.
    edited June 2010
    Try something else that might work...

Pull the network completely and reboot. It should boot into a 169.x.x.x. With the network unplugged, try using the local CMA. If you can connect, then there's hope. This is how I found mine. I could pull the network and load content.

It took me 3 tries in order to get the internet network feed to clear it out.

My server was the same way...I never had the beta build on it.
    edited June 2010
    I get the locally assigned IP and it sees the server (same as it did before) but as soon as I click on it to expand it, i get the same error as before. We are on try 5 now.
    edited June 2010
    I did just reimage and same issue. I guess the image drops on 1.5.1 but of course, since the CMA won't connect, I can't upgrade it either.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2010
    since the CMA won't connect, I can't upgrade it either.

Since you are on AXON, you can run CMA directly on the server. You will need either a second monitor or KVM, and a keyboard and mouse to make it work, but will be able to upgrade your server directly that way.

BTW - re-imaging should not clear your custom content, as it resides on an entirely separate partition of the HDD....but it is always good to back it up just in case.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited June 2010
    This is the problem Marty...

There's something floating around that will not let you connect on the local CMA. It was attributed to a Beta build according to the tech note, but now both myself and Stephen have had the issue without having a beta build on the server.

You can start CMA, it will show the server number, but when you click on it, you get "Cannot Connect to Server" even though it's the same machine.

The "connect to internet" information on the tech note worked for me, but apparently hasn't worked for Stephen.
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Stephen,

One other thing you can try:

The motherboard we use in the Axon has dual on-board network cards, and through our custom BIOS we turn one of the cards off. I have seen cases where the BIOS gets reset and both cards become active again. When this happens, it confuses our software and you can see errors similar to what you are seeing.

Reset the server and when you see the HES Splash screen tap "Delete" a couple times on the keyboard to go into the BIOS set up. Once you are in there, scroll all the way to the right to the "Exit" menu. One of the choices on this menu should be "Load Set-up Defaults". Select this, confirm that you want to do it, then press 'F10' to Save and Exit. Allow the server to reboot and see if it is any better.
    edited June 2010
    Checked the bios -- No such luck .... I'm getting a link on the switch, and (when) it's connected to a DHCP network, it's pulling an IP address.
    edited June 2010
    It appears I was able to fix the issue. The CMOS/BIOS clock had reset (I'm assuming due to a low MB battery) -- As soon as the clock was reset, the system booted and was able to connect via CMA (both locally and remotely) -- I also replaced the battery just in case. All seems good.
  • JayDJ130JayDJ130 Registered User
    edited June 2010
    @stephenwyker - It sounds like I'm having similar issues to yours. I'm trying to connect with MacCMA. I was able to 2 weeks ago but haven't since. Can you explain the CMOS/BIOS clock issue that resolved it for you? I'd like to try that myself. Thanks.
    edited July 2010
    Connect a monitor, and keyboard, go into the bois (delete when you see the HES screen) -- Check the clock settings there .. it's on the first screen.