!!!Auto Save feature missing in 3.1.6???

Okay, I think I am missing a really important feature in Hog 3.1.6. after upgrade on my iPC. I went into setup>shows, and all I have is Backup….Where is the auto save / auto backup feature? Is it somewhere else?

I hate to think this was removed….
  • 3.1.6. release notes
    Bug #13364: Disable auto-backup due to potential for show failures during auto-backup
  • Man! I even went thru the release notes and did not notice. That was a major feature!, just the fact that the system does hang, or crash you can at least backup to the last 7-10 minutes....instead of wondering when you backed up last..

Thanks for the info, I hope they come up with something to resolve this issue.
  • > instead of wondering when you backed up last..

The console saves all edits to disk almost imediately, so in the event that the console does crash you'll still have your recent edits. You'll only lose any unsaved changes in the programmer.
  • <'ll still have your recent edits. You'll only lose any unsaved changes in the programmer.>>

Interesting that you should say that...

At my show over the weekend, I loaded up the designer's show file and continued to set position palettes, etc. for about 3 hours. At that point, the desktop froze, and killing and rebooting the desktop process didn't fix the problem. After that restart, any time I hit "setup" and then any button (y'know, patch or backup or something unimportant like that), the desktop froze again. And again. And again.

I bring this up because I lost all three hours of work - palettes, moved cue stacks, etc. I did not know at the time that the LD had AutoBackup turned off, so that didn't cause the crash... but what I read from your response is that my palettes should have been saved regardless.

Any explanation? That was version 3.1.3; I did a clean install to 3.1.6 today and was a little ticked to find AutoBackup gone specifically because of my bad experience at my Independence Day show.
  • Somehow your show file got corrupted. You can try merging the relevant pallete out of the corrupt version into a known good copy of the show.

Also, please send the corrupted show into support. If you can't even open the setup menu, I think that's something they'd like to see.
  • [QUOTE=SarahK;48334]....I lost all three hours of work....

I understand your frustration here....it would really suck to lose that much work all at once to be sure.

But, as a Programmer it is part of your gig to protect your show file. Never rely on any console to do it for you. The first question a Designer is going to ask you in the event of a problem is "When did you last back-up the show?"

This is why it is a good policy to backup regularly no matter what console you are using. Personally I shoot for every 30 minutes and do backups to at least 2 pieces of external media in addition to the console's HDD.

This way if something drastic happens to your console (including catastrophic physical damage) you still have a copy from at the most 30 minutes ago.

Hope this helps. :)
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;48340]Somehow your show file got corrupted. You can try merging the relevant pallete out of the corrupt version into a known good copy of the show.

Also, please send the corrupted show into support. If you can't even open the setup menu, I think that's something they'd like to see.

It's not the show file. We just sent it to a new show this weekend (clean install of 3.1.6, no files transferred over), and it was fine for 2 days... and then started doing it again. The programmer there said that setup + show (any time he would try to back it up) was an automatic crash.

Does this signal failing hardware? Bad hard drive?

I should mention, however, that it did keep his data every time it crashed - as you'd said before, the palettes, etc. all saved. Lucky him.
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;48355]I understand your frustration here....it would really suck to lose that much work all at once to be sure.

But, as a Programmer it is part of your gig to protect your show file. Never rely on any console to do it for you. The first question a Designer is going to ask you in the event of a problem is "When did you last back-up the show?"

This is why it is a good policy to backup regularly no matter what console you are using. Personally I shoot for every 30 minutes and do backups to at least 2 pieces of external media in addition to the console's HDD.

This way if something drastic happens to your console (including catastrophic physical damage) you still have a copy from at the most 30 minutes ago.

Hope this helps. :)

Yeah, generally, when it's my show (and my problem), I do. More often than that.

But considering it looks like now it's a hardware issue and all I was updating was palettes, all that means is that I would've lost 30 minutes of data over and over again.

Not sure how this is supposed to HELP but to try and make me feel like an idiot.
Related