X-Spot Doesnt work when hung

I have an X-spot that works totaly fine on the desk, running self test and show cues for hours. However, when I go to hang 'em [inverted], he seems afraid of hights and will only run for a short while before the lamp turns off.

Any ideas on what might be getting pinched or caught when the unit is hung vs. floor mounted?

Thanks

-Sam-
  • [QUOTE=TravelingSamSam;47284]I have an X-spot that works totaly fine on the desk, running self test and show cues for hours. However, when I go to hang 'em [inverted], he seems afraid of hights and will only run for a short while before the lamp turns off.

Any ideas on what might be getting pinched or caught when the unit is hung vs. floor mounted?

Thanks

-Sam-

Since heat naturally rises, what would get hotter hung than on the floor? Myself, I'd look at the lamp fans in the head first, as well as the temp sensor.

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=tadawson;47301] Myself, I'd look at the lamp fans in the head first, as well as the temp sensor.

I never thought of that, I am getting and ERROR on the Topbox 2 Temp Sensor. Where are those sensors located?
  • Hmm,
    There is all the obvious stuff,
    are the fans running, are they too dirty, etc etc.

Otherwise,
    Topbox sensor may mean nothing, as the 1 of the topbox temp sensors was removed from Xspot years ago.

The only remaining top box sensor is in position 5 on this drawing
    www.highend.com/pdfs/products/xspotxtreme/drawings/fsa003.pdf

The Temp sensor could be plugged into the wrong position.
    I believe the temp sensor is supposed to be plugged into Header hd10 on the Pan 3 phase board.

If the sensor is plugged into the correct position, you could also check in the info menu and see what the sensor is reading.

If it seems to be off, you could try swapping the temp sensor with one from the head, I believe they are the same sensor.

Have you recently changed CPU boards in this fixture?
    Its possible that the software is an older version, Older versions may exist in your spare part inventory..
    Some of the old versions don't know that the Temp sensor has been removed.
    All your xspots should have 4.1.5. a crossload from a working xspot would solve this issue.

If it is none of these issues, I would try swapping the 3 phase boards, and see if the issue changes at all.

Good Luck,
    feel free to give me a call if you are still stuck.

Joshua Wood
    Vee Production Services
    Electric Shop Manager-Touring
  • TopBox Fan 2 is for the lamp power supply, so my guess would be that TopBox Temp 2 would be associated with it, which is also consistent with the fixture lamping off.

As others have said, check the fans - especially those in the fixture base ("TopBox") as opposed to the head, and ensure that everything has good airflow and is running.

With a software issue (old version, whatever . . ) I would expect identical behaviour no matter what orientation your fixture was hung in. On this one, I think it's a real hardware problem related to cooling . . .

- Tim
  • Hey Gang,
    Had a chance to flip the light over and work on it in its inverted position. It's our spare, so i've had lots of time to poke at it.
    In addition the LPS not being quite locked into its mounts, the cables going to the I/O card were swinging into the LPS fan, stopping it completely. After securing everything and re-directing the cables near the LPS, the light is now funtioning flawlessly.

Thanks
  • Thanks for the update! It's always good to find some thing simple, easy, and inexpensive!

- Tim
Related