OSC Interface for Control App (Android + iOS)

Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
edited October 2013 in Hog 4 Tips and Tricks
I've written a fairly basic Hog-4 OSC interface in JSON for the "Control" app which is available on both the Android and iOS platforms.

Once you have Control installed:
- add an Interface by pointing it to:

http://www.retinalresonance.com/H4OSC.js

- then make sure you set a "destination" in Control that matches your console's IP and Port settings for OSC in. (ie: 172.31.0.1:7001)

Note that currently this only goes one way...device to console. Console to device messages (such as LED status, etc.) is not yet implemented by me for this.

I have had no success in testing this myself as I have been unable to get OSC in to H4PC due some network oddities on my end, but apparently others have used it successfully.

I designed the layout for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (love the stylus on it for things like this!:headbang:), so you may see slight variations in the layout between different devices.

I'm hoping you all have better success connecting and using this. Please report any issues back to me so I can adjust for them if possible.

Enjoy!

Comments

• barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Marty.
    I'm curious though, is the Hog4 Layout that HES provided suppose to give us LED and fader feedback to and from the device? I have successfully connected the OSC Touch app to my Hog4 but I am trying to figure out how to get the LEDs and the faders to respond.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2012
    To get LED status, etc back into your device, you need to be sure that you have configured your OSC Out settings on the console as well as OSC In.

The Console's Output IP and Port settings need to match those for input on your OSC device.

Hope this helps. :)
  • kurtiswilkkurtiswilk Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Hey Marty,
    not sure if you've encountered any problems or have any insight, When i download your template it instantly sends "control" into landscape only mode ??? I've tried on two devices a Google Nexus 7 and a samsung galaxy 2x with the same results. it also wont load any other templates, any thoughts?

kurtis
    edited December 2012
    I wrote the interface to be in landscape, and I have seen Control do spme odd things when switching. Usually I close the app and restart it. Sometimes I have to launch one of the example interfaces in Portrait mode, then back out to the main screen and launch the H4OSC interface.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited December 2012
    Worked like a charm, thank you sir
    edited December 2012
    It worked like a charm, execept the enter key does not does not seem to function for me? anyone else have the same??

kurtis
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    edited December 2012
    kurtiswilk wrote: »
    It worked like a charm, execept the enter key does not does not seem to function for me? anyone else have the same??

kurtis

I have a copy of Marty's template, there is an error:
    "address": "/hog/hardware/Enter",

needs to be:
    "address": "/hog/hardware/enter",

edited December 2012
    datadriver wrote: »
    I have a copy of Marty's template, there is an error:
    "address": "/hog/hardware/Enter",

needs to be:
    "address": "/hog/hardware/enter",

Thanks for the find guys! :eek:
    This is now fixed!
    Please delete the old interface and download the adjusted one.
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    Hi Marty,

Could you post a screenshot of your layout please?

Cheers

Colin
    edited December 2012
    Firewood1 wrote: »
    Could you post a screenshot of your layout please?

Sure, see attached shots.

It is modeled after the Touch OSC inteface, only I kept it monochrome for better visibility in high ambient light situations.
    The only other major difference is I have not yet written in LED status feedback from the console yet.
    edited December 2012
    Marty,
    FYI, I got this to work on my Droid4 phone. The UI went off the screen a little bit at the top, but it worked pretty good. Looking forward OSC out added. Thanks for posting this.
  • gematgemat Registered User
    edited December 2012
    I have almost all the keys working perfect from ipad to computer and backwards, but the faders and encoders simply do not respond, does anybody knows how to fix this?

Thanks in advance !!!
    edited December 2012
    gemat wrote: »
    I have almost all the keys working perfect from ipad to computer and backwards, but the faders and encoders simply do not respond, does anybody knows how to fix this?

Thanks in advance !!!

Marty's Layout correctly sends fader and encoder commands to Hog4.
    Hog4 does NOT output encoder movements back to OSC devices.
  • gematgemat Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Chris, I understand that Hog4 does NOT output encoder movements back to the iPad, but, I just can't move the faders on the PC, neither the encoders, I suppose that if I move them in the iPad, I have to see them moving in the Hog PC, is this correct? What am I doing wrong? everything else is working perfect.

Regards
    edited December 2012
    Encoders and faders through osc are not available on hog4pc. That functionality is currently only available on an actual console.

Kurtis
    edited December 2012
    gemat wrote: »
    Thanks Chris, I understand that Hog4 does NOT output encoder movements back to the iPad, but, I just can't move the faders on the PC, neither the encoders, I suppose that if I move them in the iPad, I have to see them moving in the Hog PC, is this correct? What am I doing wrong? everything else is working perfect.

Regards

I misunderstood your question. If you bring up the MIDI viewer you will see it screaming error messages about that feature being disabled for the PC version.
  • Adair55Adair55 Registered User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Marty Postma for this wonderful and informative post.:headbang:
    edited September 2013
    Apologies if this has already been discovered and mentioned...

I just found out a couple of days ago that in May, TouchOSC was finally released on Android. I have tested the HES template made for the iPhone on my Galaxy S3 and it all works very well. Only the tabs at the top of the screen were missing text but not sure if they ever showed on the iPhone?
  • sinclairsinclair Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2013
    The text does appear on the tabs on the iPhone. There is currently an issue with iPod Touch (5th gen) that prevents the text from showing on the tabs. Perhaps the Android issue stems from the same origin. Hexler is supposedly working on it.
  • Ben_TaylorBen_Taylor Registered User
    edited October 2013
    What App are people using on Iphone to make this work, not having much luck at the moment.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2013
    TouchOSC works on iphone
    edited October 2013
    i cant get mine to see marty's http://www.retinalresonance.com/H4OSC.js

it just comes up saying connection failed could not find the server
    edited October 2013
    Hi Ben,

I hope you've recovered from PLASA!

Marty's template was written for an app called Control which at the time was the better option for Android devices as TouchOSC did not support labels (it now does). I personally have never used his template so I can't comment on how it compares with TouchOSC / HES templates now.

I have been using TouchOSC with both Android and iOS devices and the HES templates work well across both platforms so if you're having trouble it might be worth going down that route.
    edited October 2013
    Much better thanks Colin.

hope you have to!

How do you get the HES templates onto your device then?
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2013
    :rtfm: ;-)

Touch OSC data-transfer is very easy, has 2 options:

* via itunes
    * via Wifi-connection, there is a an option to download files in the Touch OSC software. You need to install the Touch OSC Editor on your computer first. Then load the template there, start the App an your device and computer, and start the transfer process liked described in the manual of Touch OSC
    edited October 2013
    Ben, have a look at my Tutorial 13 on this site. It demonstrates the process step by step.
    edited October 2013
    Colin,

Where is Tutorial 13? I can't find it even on YouTube.
    edited October 2013
    Hi Scott, no they're not on You Tube yet but they are on this High End site accessible from the home page.

Cheers

Colin
    edited October 2013
    Thanks All for your help,
    Marc i can't read a manual that would be sensible!
  • alsandyalsandy Registered User
    Colin,

I have been looking around for the tutorial, where is it?
    There's a link to all the training videos on the High End homepage
    Tutorial 13 - Open Sound Control. The description on the website is incorrect currently.
  • PaduskiPaduski Registered User
    Hi Marty, I have watched the video and successfully configured and controlled the fixtures with my Android tablet but the faders and encoders are not moving. Any reason for this? I thought it is only the hog4 PC that the faders and encoders are disabled. I use a roadhog 4 console.
    Are you running "Touch OSC" or my older "Control" interface.
    I now use "Touch OSC".
    The older "Control" JSON interface was a stop gap till we had "Touch OSC" on Android devices, and I have not used it in several years, but leave it up for anyone who might be using it still.