Hog IPC Questions

Hey Guys and Gals

I'm looking at purchasing my first real hog console. I think I've solidly got the research down. But just like to get a few opinions because I will not be the only one using it in the future.

Given the choice between a Hog IPC and A Road Hog full boar. Would it make that much a difference to you. The Full boar seems to me to be a newer hardware version of the IPC. Aside from smaller touch screens and lack of a 4th monitor.

Will support for the IPC be discontinued anytime in the near future, as I know the product has be discontinued.

And lastly how reliable is the IPC in a touring environment??

Look forward to the feed back

Kurtis
  • Hi Kurtis,

You are correct that the Road Hog is newer than the Hog iPC. However you are incorrect on a few points.

1. The Hog iPC and Road Hog each support 1 external monitor for a total of 3 monitors.
    2. The screens on all the Wholehog products are the same size.
    3. The Full Boar has much greater capabilities than the Hog iPC.

You might want to have a look at the comparison chart in the Wholehog brochure at:
    www.highend.com/support/downloads/dl/The_Wholehog_Family.pdf

We will continue to support the Hog iPC hardware for several years and the software is the same for all console so it continues support of course. The Hog iPC could also run in Hog 2 mode, but the Road Hog can not. Both desks are reliable in touring, but the Hog iPC has its monitor connections exposed.
  • Brad, the full boar does support 2 intern + 2 extern = 4 screens total.....
  • You said "capabilities", Can you please elaborate on what this means? Its a very broad range and could me it has a mini fridge inside it :P As doing the comparison chat that you gave me did not have the ipc even on it....

Doing a list check the only differences on the product page are very subtle.
    The Full boar does the follow thing that the IPC does not, which is simply artnet.
    Also the full boar outputs 4 additional universes by USB, To me the USB universes are not that important.

And that the Full boar has a hognet and fixture link conectivity ports. I assume this is the Art-net port. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Kurtis,
  • Hi Kurtis,

You are correct that in terms of capabilities, the Road Hog Full Boar is more advanced than the Hog iPC in only a few items. Overall they both have the same capabilities for programming and controlling a show.

The Full Boar has 12 universe capabilities and the Hog iPC has 8.
    The Full Boar has a second Ethernet port for Art-Net and E1.31 output (this port is labeled "fixture")
    The Full Boar has integrated monitors, where the Hog iPC are external
    The Full Boar can connect 2 external monitors, where the Hog iPC can connect only 1.
    The Full Boar has LED running and a worklight, but the Hog iPC does not.
    The Full Boar has a more powerful processor and hard drive than the Hog iPC

As for the comparison chart, yes I forgot the one on the website had the Hog iPC removed, sorry about that.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions,
  • Hey Brad, sorry if I seem to be picking you apart. I'm just trying to get all the answers we need to make the correct decision.

The integrated work lights are more of a luxury function for us at this point so i never really considered them.

The artnet is a bit of a bummer but as this is the first console, i'm not sure that artnet is worth the extra 4 to 6 thousand on its own.

Does the hardware exchange for the IPC bring the operating specs up to the level of the road hog? As an option in the future or failure, not as an immediate thing. Does it or will it add artnet to the console in the future, or is this even a possibility.

Kurt
  • Kurt,

No worries... you should always ask questions...

Regarding the Hog iPC... we do not suggest doing a "hardware exchange" unless there is a failure of the motherboard or other components. It will improve the motherboard, and depending on when the change is made may or may not match the current shipping Road Hog motherboard.

The Hog iPC console only supports Hog-Net and does not have a fixture port, so it will never be able to directly output Art-Net. You can however connect a DP8000 via Hog-Net that will provide Art-Net output if needed.
  • Thanks Brad.

I do now believe that the hog IPC is fully capable of what we need it to be for our needs and the price at this time. The "hardware exchange" would absolutely be in a failure situation, why fix what is not yet broken.

As for artnet that is a small shame but, a very livable one. In the case that we ever need artnet before having to truly update to a larger console the DP8000 is a great solution.

On a random thought do you think they will ever make the hog-net port capable of doing either artnet or Hog-net? I can only think of a few instances this would be really useful but none the less it is just a quick thought.

Thanks Again
    Kurt
  • Kurt,

I am sure that you will be happy with either the Hog iPC or the Full Boar and that both will do wonders for your productions.

Regarding having a single configurable Ethernet port... probably not, but you never know what could happen in the future either.
  • I have had 2 IPC consoles for about 3 years and I have been VERY happy with both of them. I have never had any hardware failures. IPC has my recommendation unless you need the extra monitor (I only use 2 anyway) or the extra outputs and networking capabilities.

:notworthy::hogsign::notworthy:
Related