Basic festival programming roadhog

Hi,

In a few weeks I'm doing a theater/music festival for 10 days on a Roadhog, my rig consists of 8 vl2500 spots, 6 vl500D's and 30 parcans or something.

I practice a lot with programming using hog/pc and Esp Vision.

My question is, what can be a good way to program the Roadhog for this type of event, mainly the playback faders. I can program it like I would on a Pearl, but I feel I can do much more with it.

Can anyone tell me what a logic programming looks like on a Hog? Or perhaps send me a copy of a festival programming?

Greets, Marco
  • I would personally set up busking lists and scenes. If you could have a playback or expansion wing with the console, that would be beneficial - more faders and buttons per page then.

I would do pages, either per song or "leave in backgound". The second option is effectivly one huge page. Set up some useful views, that way you can fire scenes and lists/chases or effects from the touchscreen.

I cant comment on pearl programming as I have never used one. What do you mean by "logic programming"?

Regards,
  • Hi Mark. If you search the forum you'll find tons of posts on how to set up your desk. The truth is you can use your road hog like if it was a pearl but that's kind of worthless for the desk's philosophy goes another direction. touch screens with virtual lists and scenes are very handy in live situations. If you're a pearl programmer, I'm positive you can find your way around the hog for it's a giant leap forward programming wise. whatever you do, keep it simple.
  • I know i can program it like a pearl, but i don't want that. I want to learn the most effective way to program it.

Please correct me, or give advise.

For now I have a few diverent vieuws,
    - palettes vieuw
    - Cuelist
    - fixture vieuw (fixture/position/colour/beam)
    - Scene vieuw (group/scene/colour/beam)
    - Output
    - Programmer

On my playbacks I have:
    Grand master
    Conventional master 1
    Conventional master 2
    conventional master 3
    pan swing
    tilt swing
    Dimmerspread (cue 1= slow, cue 2=faster, cue 3=fastererer etc)
    Colourchases
    Dimmer vl5's
    Dimmer vl2500's

For the control of chases and shapes I'd prefer to have all the intensity, and speed masters under the playback faders. As an example If I launch a >circle from my effect directory, i seem to lose all control over it, is there a way to link the effect size and speed to 2 playback faders? Instead of heaving 10 diverent masters for only my pan/tilt shapes..
  • Unfortunutly you cant control speed and size from a fader. It has been logged, I remember reading the thread. However I think, if you put an effect on a fader, you can hold [choose] and use the parameter wheels to control the effect. Personally, I would fire all effects and chases from the touchscreens unless you have a specific need to control thier intensity. Also, you can record over the grand master to free up a fader. You can then use the [GM] button a paramater wheel to control the grand master level.

Regards,
  • How do you keep decent control over chases and shapes if you fire them from your effect directory, if i click one, than i have it under my effects controls. But after i have selected something else, like turning my hazer up, i've lost contact with the effects, and the only thing to stop it is pressing clear..

How do you get enough control over your effects if they are not under your playback faders
  • there's a workaround I use to be able to have a fader control the size. Record 2 cues with your effect. In the first cue set your size to 0 and in the second one set your size to the maximum level you wanna reach. Now set your fader as crossfade. Trigger your first cue with the fader at the bottom end. As you raise your fader your size increases accordingly. Want to increase the rate, hold the choose button and spin the effect rate knob to your like. This way you're basically able to control size and rate independently.
    hope this helps
  • That answers one question, great trick indeed:).

But how do you guys control your effects in a decent way if they are not under your playbacks? I wonder..
  • if you don't have a physical master use virtual lists instead. you may want to create lists with only one cue each. Open the list options and go to the properties pane and set the action at the end of list as Add release end cue. This way the first touch triggers the cuelist and the second one releases it. It's a very nice toggle feature. Adjust your realease and assert time as you want them to be. Remember to turn the guard soft button off, otherwise you will not be able to trigger your lists via touchscreen. if you click on one list cell and hold it down you're basically able to adjust the effect rate the same way you do by holding down the choose button for a physical master. Another interesting trick is that you can release virtual cuelists without necessarely realeasing cuelists attached to physical master. Hold down the list button and the release button straight after to get rid of only virtual cuelists. Hope this helps
  • Great! I can place my dimmershapes, Gobo-rotate's, indexes, prisms, and colourchases there!

Thanx! I'm beginning to see i'm going to enjoy the crap out of myself at the festival:D.

Is the same thing in some way posible in my effect directory? Or is the best option to put for example, a iris shape as a single que into my cuelist?
  • forget about the effect directory. The virtual Cue list gives you the best option.
  • The effect directory is basically a pallete for effects to live out their lives. You of course could grab fixtures and fire it, but then clear is your way out (or knockout). Marco is correct, for live situations, use the virtual lists or a fader. Don't forget, if you can live without it, you can gain a handle by recording a list over the Grand Master. I've had to do it many times when I just needed one more handle!
Related