What version of Catalyst Users use ?

Hello , I just wondering what vesrions of Catalyst are in use around the world .

Are you keep using vesrion 3 or 4 ?

What realese of v4 are you usign ?

Thanks
  • I use whatever Richard posts on Catvx. Once he releases, I put it on my box. Of course I'm also using Mac Pros instead of the old G5s that High End was packaging.
    I'm even considering some new alternative testing with Intel xServes as opposed to Mac Pros because I believe I can match performance but enhance system reliability in a smaller form device that packs better in a truck.
    Of course with an xServe, I can only run 2 PCI cards so since I do video input, that's one plus the enhanced video card, that's 2. However, I like the idea of an xServe because when we swap the capture card for a fibre channel card then I can put my xServe RAID in the same rack as my xServes to get efficient use of space.

Compared to Axon, I think this solution is a higher performance solution where I can still get many of the global effects as Axon but have to manually set them up in submixes on the local Cat machine but 12 layers compared to 3 layers is a sell for me.
    Dollar per dollar, a Cat running two outputs, costs me as much to build buying two Axons but a Cat running single Output hooked to a triple head 2 go practically kills the Axon in capability.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in the next year. Since High End has the next generation media server as well as the pioneer. What will people choose?
    Well I like both and use both for different applications. The future I suppose is what the market decides because I'm a slave to the rental houses and what they have to offer me when I call in the rental.
  • [QUOTE=SourceChild]Compared to Axon, I think this solution is a higher performance solution where I can still get many of the global effects as Axon but have to manually set them up in submixes on the local Cat machine but 12 layers compared to 3 layers is a sell for me.

Well Axon and Cat are both High End products , to me it seams that Axon it's just a more affortable solution for customers that don't need something special .

E
  • I use Version 4 on our machine.
    Mainly because I tend to you the pixelmad mixes on our LED units as well as the 2 outputs on screens/projectors.

The main difference between the Catalyst and Axon is that the Axon Media Server works on a more 3D base where as the Catalyst os 2D.
    - The Axon has 3 Layers which you can minipulte anywhere in the 3D space,
    - The Catalyst has 12 layers which are fixed in order from 1 thru 12.

The Axon Media Server is an EXACT copy of the DL2 Moving Light Projector with the exception of the Moving fixture, Camera, Progector.
    The Axon have the Exact same DMX Protocol as the DL2 minus the Fixture.

DL2 - DMX Protocol
    Fixture
    Global
    Graphic
    Graphic*
    Graphic*

AXON - DMX Protolcol
    Global
    Graphic
    Graphic*
    Graphic*

* = Optional

Think thats the best way I can describe it.
    Kris.
  • [QUOTE=Kris.g]I use Version 4 on our machine.

What Release ? 05 or 06 ?
  • I'm not actually sure to be honest.........

I'll check next week when I'm back at work.
  • [QUOTE=Kris.g]I'm not actually sure to be honest.........

I'll check next week when I'm back at work.

does it have soft edge ?