Filtering copy

Does this make any sense?

It is possible to use Group # Cue # Copy [enter] to bring fixtures to programmer...
How about bringing only fixtures which have intensity above 0% ?

This idea comes from the use of Live / Group # , which makes selecting fixtures very easy...but is only for fixtures which are really outputting
  • Sami,

The correct syntax would be:
    Cue # Group # Copy Enter

But your syntax seems to work as well.

There currently isn't a way to use Live in this command.

If you only want to grab fixtures that are currently live on stage (rather than fixtures that are above 0% in the cue you're copying from), you could do this:

Live / Group # Enter
    Cue # Copy More Selected Enter

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking a feature could added where you could filter copy by intensity level...

It would make grabbing fixtures quite easy when you could say I want fixtures which are on from cue #
  • Also another thing came to my mind.

When you use Cue # Copy Enter, is there a way to copy without replacing the values already in programmer. For example if I copy from several cues and I don't want to overwrite values already copied to programmer.
  • To comprise the sintaxes Tom suggested, try this one instead:

Live/ Group# Cue# Copy to [Enter]

Marco
  • Sami,

Copying from another source into the programmer shouldn't knock out any fixtures or parameters that are already there.

If you have Intensity for Fixture 1 already in the programmer and you copy Cue 1 into the programmer, all of Cue 1 will be copied. If it happens to have Intensity for Fixture 1, that intensity will overwrite the Intensity that is already in the programmer. There is not currently a way to override that behaviour.
  • [quote=bellons]To comprise the sintaxes Tom suggested, try this one instead:

Live/ Group# Cue# Copy to [Enter]

Marco

Well...last time I asked this feature I asked it to work a little bit that way, but if you test it, it doesn't work. The reason is those fixtures are not actually outputting and as I have understood correctly Live is for currently outputting fixtures...so it is a bit against the idea of Live. I'm trying to copy fixtures which are not outputting, but have a intensity value recorded (or tracked, if you use state)

Does anyone need this kind of feature? I do :)
  • More strange programming... how about Live / Choose or Live / List # ?
  • [quote=teerickson]Sami,

Copying from another source into the programmer shouldn't knock out any fixtures or parameters that are already there.

If you have Intensity for Fixture 1 already in the programmer and you copy Cue 1 into the programmer, all of Cue 1 will be copied. If it happens to have Intensity for Fixture 1, that intensity will overwrite the Intensity that is already in the programmer. There is not currently a way to override that behaviour.

Would it be a bad idea to have different behaviour for Copy and Merge?
    Copy would only add values to editor and Merge would also overwrite.
  • I like this concept except I think it should be the opposite. Copy gets you everything, merge just adds fixture/attribute combinations that are not already there. Kind of a reverse merge if you will.
  • Actually I also like the way you said... but I wrote it that way cause I somehow thought it is against syntax :dunce:. First time I tried it, I thought it should work the way you thought...

So, if this feature ever comes I would also like it to be the same way as Paul said. :D
  • :) [quote=teerickson]Sami,

Actually I think there's a way to override this behaviour and that is simply copy the cue you want to copy and masking beam colour position timing effect but intensity. Example: I have group 1 @ 50% in the programmer and straight after I want to copy Cue1 in the programmer where the intensity for that group is 60%, as I said before I simply have to copy Cue 1 masking P C B E T but I. the intensity is not being overwritten whatsoever (i.e. my 50% is still there bringing sunshine in my life:))
  • bellons,

You are right that the parameter type masking can be used, but there isn't a way to just tell it to not overwrite existing values in the programmer. If you have some fixtures with Intensity set and some fixtures with colour set and you copy a cue into the programmer that has some of the same fixtures and parameters and some different, there isn't a way to just tell the console to

"Copy this cue into the programmer, but don't overwrite any of the stuff I already have in there."

And there lies the debate.

Would that be useful?
    What is the most logical syntax to implement it with?
  • [quote=teerickson]bellons,

"Copy this cue into the programmer, but don't overwrite any of the stuff I already have in there."

Would that be useful?

Hmm...maybe a situation where you have something in programmer and you want to add everything else from a cue or scene and you want to be sure that what you just did is not overwritten...

I know the same thing can be done by copying that cue you are going to bring to the programmer to somewhere else and merge the thing you did from programmer to that cue. After that copy the cue to programmer.

But, the first way feels better...

I suggest using Merge for this...like I said, when I tried this, it somehow felt logical to work that way. Actually I was a bit surprised it didn't work :)
  • [quote=teerickson]bellons,

Would that be useful?

The syntax is difficult:
    -When you merge something into a cue, it overwrites. So does it make sense to merge something into the programmer and it does not overwrite? One could say, during merge operations the programmer always has the highest priority - is this philosophy "right" or is "merge" defined different at some other point?
    -copy... I don't know. merge just does make more sence if you combine information from different sources.

so i like merge to only add new parameters and copy to copy all parameters that are in the cue for currently selected fixtures.

i.e. cue 1 merge enter
    or "cue merge enter" would merge all parameters from the current cue of the selected master (so you don't have to type the number if the cue is already active)
    and "list merge enter" would merge all information for the selected fixtures up to the current cue of the selected master.
    or doesn't this make sense at all?! it just sound very nice to me right now... :sad:

now it comes again to the "undo"-bug: a typical use would be to take a group of lamps, select a positions, now merge a cue containing a move and a color-effect, undo the color and merge again from another cue that has the right colors in it. So get undo working like on the hog2 first!

Jan
  • Jan,

When you talk about "undo", it sounds like you're referring to the ability to knockout individual parameters and parameter groups from the programmer. We already have all of this functionality implemented. I think you may be confused because the syntax is different than it was for Hog 2. On a Wholehog 3, the undo button is used exclusively for undoing and redoing actions (like recording cues). If you want to knock a parameter or parameter group out of the programmer, select the fixture(s), hold down the backspace

I hope this helps.
Related