[Feature Request] Add Groups To "Live" Filter Syntax

It would be great if the group directory items were associated with "Live" masking just like all the other palette items are...

So if you wrote, "Live/Group1", then all the fixtures that were onstage above 0 intensity and in group1 would be sellected in the programmer.

Or, "Live/Group1/Color1/Beam1", would sellect in the programmer all fixture onstage that were in group1, above 0 intensity, using color1 and beam1.

Right now, when I try to add a group comment into the "Live" syntax, it throws a red line error at me.

You think you guys could add the group comment into the live syntax line? It would give us alot more functionality when masking a sellection from whats onstage?

JB
  • In Hog3 you can type Live / [touch a group from the directory onscreen] and it will do just as you asked. I believe you can type Live Color 6 Position 4 / [touch a group] to do that as well, although I've never tried it since that level of masking is rarely necessary. I can't see why they would remove this feature in Hog4. Perhaps we're just not allowed to call up groups using the hard key with Live..
  • [QUOTE=xp677;66399]In Hog3 you can type Live / [touch a group from the directory onscreen] and it will do just as you asked. I believe you can type Live Color 6 Position 4 / [touch a group] to do that as well, although I've never tried it since that level of masking is rarely necessary. I can't see why they would remove this feature in Hog4. Perhaps we're just not allowed to call up groups using the hard key with Live..

I thought that we could do it in H3, but I wasn't sure since I haven't used it in a while and I too assumed there would be no reason to take it out for H4.

The syntax..."Live/Color6/Position4/Touched group/" does not work in H4. When the group comment is added to the syntax, it is ignored. I have tried different versions of the syntax to get it to mask to a group, but have not found one that works.

I have also seen a bit of inconsistency with the masking of "Live" with the working syntax when using multiple masks, but haven't been able to find a pattern of where it starts becoming inconsistent.

Personally, I use the "Live" function often, even with multiple masks, as It allows me to grab specific stuff onstage without having to think which units are in what state to select em. And with the group mask missing from that syntax, the process can involve an extra 3 steps to isolate one particular set of fixtures.

JB
  • Also, I have requested several times to add intensity as filter when / masks are used.
    Like Live / Group @ % or Live / Group / @ %
  • Please correct me if I am wrong, but we do have intensity as a mask. Live/@50 will select all onstage fixtures that are at 50%.. And Live/IntensityPalette1 will select all fixtures onstage with an int reference to IntPal1.
  • Live / @ %% does not work. Correct syntax is Live @ %%.
    Currently I haven't found a way to filter Live with group and intensity at the same time.
    Like Live / your sidelight group / @ 0%
    Which would select the sidelights which are at zero.
  • In the current manual for H4 at section
    15.1 Selecting from What is Onstage

There is instructions that the Live/Group function should work in the syntax...

You can use the Live and / keys together to select fixtures that are both live on stage and in a specified fixture selection:

Live 1 Thru 5 selects fixtures that are in the range 1 to 5 that are live on stage.

Live / Group 1 selects fixtures that are in Group 1 that are live on stage.

Now when I try the syntax "Live/Group1" it brings up group 1 if it is live onstage, but as soon as I try to do multiple masks in the same syntax line containing any "/group" comment, I get a red error syntax indicator.

All of the other directory items (except Group) work as they are suposed to when combined in a multiple, single line syntax for "Live" mask selection, as well as all of the function modifiers to make the selection change logic (The "+" for "OR" and the "/" for AND).

Can someone from HES please let me know if I am missing something in the syntax to be able to succsesfully include a Group Palette into the syntax for live masking?
  • I have experienced this also, be nice to improve the live/group filter.