Hog iPC problems - dmx output and playback process

same problem on 2.3.3 IPC.
tested with 6 JB A7 LED changin color via hue and saturation.

also the browse button in shows takes 10 sec.

Another Problem i have seen today: I can´t delete a list from any fader.
after restarting the playback it´s deleted.

The startup animation looks like an 10 fps movie:(. Are the grafik or cpu drivers incorect in this release?

no problems on the hogPC with the same show.

IPC is built in 2006.

best,
robert
  • Hey Robert. I moved your post into a new thread. I didn't want to start so much chatter in that other thread because you have more than one issue and we just need to handle your situation separately I think.

Now, I would recommend if you could disabling all sACN and Art-net output to see if it impacts dmx output performance on the iPC.

The browse for show button should not take 10s to open and deleting a list from a fader shouldn't be so problematic either so something above and beyond is going wrong here.

What XPE version is your console running? This can be found under the control panel's info tab.

Are you running the console on a network? Any keyboards or other external USB devices attached other than the touch screens?
  • Ok, I disabelt all sACN and Art-net outputs. No changes at all.
    Tryed the same setting with an superwidget and the DMX is still laggy.
    I made a video for you to see what i see.
    Setup is 6x JB A7 standart RGB 8
    Hog IPC with external Monitor no Touch.
    No other USB devices than the 2 touch monitors.
    Keyboard is PS2.

Update history: 3.1.8 with clean install to 3.2.1 with clean install to 3.2.2
    No old shows from previous versions in use.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzn3000aC8c

[ATTACH]2333[/ATTACH]

• Hey Robert, thanks for the information. Can you confirm the lag is still there with all of the windows closed on the desktop. I am trying to establish this as a wheel performance problem as opposed to a onscreen drawing performance problem.
  • Ok, I try to get the same setup running ASAP.
    I think i can try it at Saturday or Sunday again.

On Screen: Color Picker, DMX and Output window was lagy.
    Programmer window didn´t show any lags.
    Also the Grafiks are with no AA. (hard edges, no soft circle[color picer])
    Hope this helps a bit.

best,
    Robert
  • Hey Chris,

Tested it with all windows closed, still the same lag like in the video.

An other bug i have seen is i can not move my Scene window from the externel Monitor. (ELO). It moved the Group window every Time.
    Reboot fix it sometimes.
    Tried touching the screen then move. And select with trackball then move.
    This problem is also in this Post with an Hog PC.
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=12431
  • Hey Robert. I have been doing some extra digging into this performance issue and I have found there is an inefficiency with the desktop process eating up enough CPU when making wheel edits that it can lead to a starvation of the CPU to a point where the internal DP8000 doesn't have the juice it needs to keep a healthy 25 hz refresh. This does appear to be a result of the v3.2.X system re-architecture and I have logged a bug for our development team to explore why wheel moves are so costly.

I am surprised you are seeing it with so few number of fixtures as it doesn't show up so much on my scope here but I do believe you based on the video and report that this is occurring with your rig. Given what I know about this issue you might want to revert to v3.1.9. It is probably not going to be a trivial issue to fix.

For the other problems you reported:

Can´t delete a list from any fader -
    is it possible these lists are held over or something. You might have to send me your show file for this one.

The startup animation looks like an 10 fps movie -
    this is probably accurate. This animation is a bit of an over engineered Avi file that plays at startup and it has never really been that smooth. One thing that can improve the appearance of this animation is to set the video buffer setting in the bios to a higher size.

Can not move my Scene window from the external Monitor-
    I've been tracking this with the other user in the separate forum and it baffles me because I cannot reproduce that at all. Have you tried the front panel shortcut "Pig+@" to move the window?

Browse button in shows takes 10 sec.-
    Do you have any network drives mapped on your iPC? This is the only thing I can think of that would slow down the file browser from openning.
  • Not to but in, but I'm butting in. :)

My iPC also takes forever (at least 10 sec) to open the shows browser. I was looking to see if I had any mapped drives as Chris suggested, and I realized it has a floppy drive listed in the browser under iPC, and the icon for the floppy drive is the icon for the zip drive on the Hog III. Could that be why its taking so long? Is it looking for a phantom floppy?
  • I'll answer my own question. Apparently that is the case. I went into the BIOS and sure enough the 3.5" floppy was enabled. I turned it off in BIOS and restarted the same show file with same cues running and the lag to get into the shows screen was gone.
  • Ah, good catch Billy. Robert, maybe give that a try for your desk as well. We are currently testing an application level fix for the encoder wheel performance issue.
  • thank you billy,

will try the bios settings on monday.

@chris: what is the average temerature of the cpu?
    we are using an external power supply. this means there are 1 fan less in the desk.
    reduces the noise level heavily.

other problems:
    Can´t delete a list from any fader---
    never seen this again

Can not move my Scene window from the external Monitor---
    Pig+@ didnt move any window.
  • Robert

Can you please upload your show file?
    highend.wetransfer.com/ upload to MGRAHAM@barco.com
    Not sure why you can not move a scene, just tested this in the lab and had no problems.
  • ok will try to upload the show tommorow.

just four info:
    no problems with an external screen without touch. Conectet via DVI to VGA
    sometimes problems with an external elo toch. Connectet via DVI to VGA
    (reboot fixes the problem)

will also try to find the bad syntax while programming.

@chris and billy
    thanks for the tip!! i managed to take a look into the BIOS after the show today. and voila everything is fast as i can remember bevor 3.2.x.

spread this info out to all IPC users on the earth :D
Related