RGB LED issue (b2901 3.1.8)

I'm having an issue with my RGB LED's. (Using Generic RGB LED profile)

If I change the color live in the programmer, all seems fine. However, if I do it in blind (and use PIG+BLIND for timing) or in cues, there are some strange anomalies that are happening.

Example:
Cue 1 - LEDs in Amber at 58%
Cue 2 - LEDs change to Congo (just changing color)

Have cue 1 running....

Now, press BLIND
Select LED's
Select another color (Congo for example)...no intensity selected
Color Time 5 Enter
Pig+Blind

The LEDs will drop intensity in a 0 count and then fade to the color in the programmer restoring the intensity. Even with Intensity in the programmer at 58% (matching the cue), I still get the intensity drop.

I doesn't show this in the output window, but if you open the DMX window, you can see it doing it. Coming out of the programmer (Pig+Blind again) it will fade properly. I have tried everything I can think of to get it NOT to do it, but I can't get around it. The only thing I've been able to do is take the intensity out, delay the color in a 0 count and restore the color. I don't think I should have to be doing this.

Any ideas....
  • Which colour space are you using?
    Are you shifting between colour spaces in either your cues or in the Programmer?

Might have something to do with RGB channels fading out as others coming in, (IE - Red and Green making Amber fading out as Blue making Congo fades in) but seems like there should be no "dip to black" and be a straight crossfade.

Does this happen 3.1.9 as well?
  • I always stay CMY Marty. It's really bizarre. And, I noticed yesterday, if the fixtures are at FULL, I never see this problem. It's only if they are at a lower intensity (which is probably why I haven't seen it before now).

I've been running about 30 Colorblasts for years without seeing this (but they are always at full). For Easter, I added 18 Colorblazes in 12-circuit mode (aka lots of channels). 14 of them run at full so I didn't see it there. It was only once I added the 4 in the camera shot that had to run at 58% that I saw this.

The other weird part is that the output window (and the cue editors) doesn't show the jump. I only see it if I'm watching the DMX window (which is what was frustrating me trying to find the problem).

I haven't loaded 3.1.9 out here on the main console yet....had to get through Easter first.
  • Defintely an odd issue.
    Its' almost like there is split timing between the up fade and down fade of the RGB channels, but not in your programming of course.

Are you by chance running an inhibitor to keep them at or below 58%?

I remember having some issues a while back with proportionally patched intensities on RGB LEDs (Color Blast fixtures actually) where it wouldn't take. (IE - set 50% intensity in Patch and look at a cue that had 100% and the output was still 100%) Thought it was fixed, but might be somehow related.
  • No inhibitors running at all. :)

What I was seeing in the DMX window was what caught my eye.

For the first color - Ch. 1 @ 0, Ch. 2 @ 128, Ch. 3 @ 255 (just an example)
    If the second color was Ch. 1 @ 0, Ch. 2 @ 255 and Ch. 3 @ 255, I would actually see Channel 2 drop to 0 before fading up to 255 rather than holding at 128 and just fading up. Now, I wasn't seeing this in the output window, but the actual DMX window.
  • Hey Jon,

This sounds a lot like a sister issue to something I logged about a year ago. There is some interesting calculation problems we run into with the CMY color space. Read over this bug report and see if these principals apply to what you are seeing.

Here is the bug that is logged:

When RGB LEDs are mixed using CMY and have a value less than 100%, then stomping them with another list which is mixed with CMY at 100% intensity will cause an undesired drop out of intensity while performing the stomping xfade.

Here is the description and repro from the customer:
    I´ve 20 LED-fixtures (Generic RGB LED)
    In cuelist 1 cue 1 : master intensity at 50% with color mixed to red using cmy
    In cuelist 2 cue 1 : master intensity at 100% with color mixed blue using cmy
    When cuelist 1/1 is active and I start cuelist 2/1, the intensity breaks down to 20% and fades up to 100% with fade timing.

Notes:
    1) The lower the master intensity value is on the stomped cuelist the more obvious the intensity drop out is during the xfade.
    2) This does not occur when uisng I-red, I-green, I-blue
    3) This does not occur in a single cuelist situation
  • Chris,

The EFFECT sounds like exactly what I'm seeing. The only difference is that my intensity doesn't change between lists. It's an architectural piece so I have the intensity limited (on the new fixtures only) to 65% from the Edit Fixtures Menu. It also behave the same way when I had them profiled at 100%. I didn't profile them down until after cameras saw the space and needed adjusting.

So, while the stomping/intensity drop sounds correct, it's not from intensity on my part. The most confusing part is that the first 30 Colorblasts in the show operate as expected. It's only the new 216.

J

(copying this into the "newer" version of the request to so other can see it)
Related