Moving showfiles from other Hog consoles to Wholehog III with DP-2000

I understand that you can't open a v3 showfile on a console running v2 software, but I am running into another issue.

In doing some testing it appears even if a Hog III with DP-2000 and another desk are running the same software version, you can not take a showfile from another desk and load it on the the Hog III/DP-2000. I guess I was under the impression that it would handle it similar to the Road Hog where you would only have access to the first 4 universes.

However, when you try to load that showfile, it will not recognize the DP-2000 and you have DMX output and can not patch anything. I tried to merge the showfile info into a new show with DP-2000 format on the Hog III, but it fails to merge giving me an error as it tries to merge fixtures.

If this is an issue, please let me know and if so I/we need to get the word out that you can't transfer showfiles between certain desks.

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • More details please regarding the two console setups....are they both Hog-3s w/ DP-2000s or do you have a DP-8000 in there somewhere...or anther desk entirely.....like a Full Boar?

You might be running into a situation where your two systems are not running the same processor type (eg. a Hog-3 with a DP-2k and a Full Boar with the internal DP-8k process).

If this is the case you will need to go into Patch and clone the DP(s) over to the proper type after loading the show up the first time.

Hope this helps. :)
  • > I understand that you can't open a v3 showfile on
    > a console running v2 software,

That's not correct. You can load a show created under v3.0.x in 2.x.x software. The one caveat is that 2.x.x software doesn't know about DP8000's, so you have to go into the network window and remove any DP8000 nodes under 3.0.x before you load it with 2.x.x.

As Marty pointed out, there's a "Clone DP" feature that makes moving universes between DP2000s and DP8000s very easy.

> If this is an issue, please let me know and if so

It's fully possible to move shows around among consoles and versions.

You have to watch out for netnumber conflicts. If your show has a DP8000 at netnum 1, and you have a DP2000 that's set for netnum 1, you won't be able to use it.

Make sure what you see in the network window matches your hardware, and if it doesn't move things around until they do.

If you plan on moving shows between the PC based consoles with a virtual DP8000, and a HogIII console, it's generally best to avoid using netnum 1 on your DP2000s. That way you'll never have a netnumber conflict.
  • Thanks for the replies. What seems to happen is that when I load the show on the Hog III, it never finds a DMX processor. So I am never able to edit the net number or assign any DMX outputs or do any other DP troubleshooting. The DP pull down menus in the patch window are blank. There is no DMX processor listed in the Network window.

I have tried unpatching more than 4 universes, disabling the outputs for universes 5-8 prior to moving the show file, but nothing seems to help.

I have tried merging the showfile in to new show formatted to DP-2000s, but it has an error when merging fixtures. It's a large showfile with a lot of fixture types including many from the new "uncommon" library. So I don't know if that is causing the failure or if is related to trying to load a DP8K show into a DP2K show.

If this is an process that is done regularly it would be helpful to have some instructions available to give to users/customers as I can see this being an issue on show site. Thanks again for whatever help you can provide.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
  • Finally got it to work. Added another DP, cloned the universes and changed the Netnumber on the DP to #2 and then restarted. That seemed to help it find the DP-2000. Netnumbers burn me often I forget about those. Thanks for the help.

Again if there were some PDF instructions on this and also the collage instructions that would be helpful to give to customers/clients.

Thanks again.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
Related