Separating & Un-separating Parameters Using Kinds and Wheelsets Not Working

I know I can create a Kind that will separate the Position parameters (e.g. pan & tilt). However, swapping between the 2 states (separate and back together) does not seem to work for me. For example, if I select a fixture in the Programmer, press the Kind button I created to separate Positions parameters and then turn the tilt encoder the pan value remains untouched. This is what I wanted. However, if I want to join them back together for the same fixtures or some other selected fixtures pressing the default Position does not work. I even created another Kind as a copy of the default Position Kind and added it to my Kinds directory with the same result. The only was I can get it toggle back and forth between separate and non-separate is to clear the programmer and start over. What am I missing?

Kevin Montagne
  • Hello

I just tested this and this is what I am seeing:

Patched 10 studio beams and make a user kind with just P/T and separated the parameters
    1 thur enter
    Using the Kind Key if I touch Pan on pan gets touched.
    Clear
    1 thru enter
    Using the Fixed Kind (position button) the parameters are NOT separated. 

• If I then go from the User Kind and Touch Tilt Pan has no values.
    Switch to the Fixed Kind and touch tilt I get a value for Pan.
  • Do you still get that behavior if you do not press Clear between switching kinds? Using your example if you:
    1 thru 5
    Use the Kind key with P/T separated to touch Pan (assume that Tilt does not get touched)
    6 thru 10
    Select the Fixed Kind (position button)
    Touch Pan
    Does Tilt now get touched? I think it should.

Kevin
  • I launched a new show
    Patched 2 Studio Spot 250's
    I created a Kind with P/T (separate parameters enabled)
    1+2 Enter Touched the User Created Kind key and adjusted Tilt (pan did not get touched)
    1 Enter Touched the Fixed Kind Position key and adjusted Tilt more (pan got a 0 value added)

I also tested with adjusting pan instead of tilt and I got the same results.
    I also tested without hitting Enter to confirm the fixture selection and I got the same results.
    I tested with and without hitting Clear in-between switching the fixture selection.

Are you sure Separate Parameters is NOT enable for your Position Fixed Kind?
  • Thanks for trying all the sequences. I will double check what I was trying to do when I get back to the console. If it is working for you I must be missing something.
  • I tried several different sequences and I am not able to get it working correctly. I am using the latest build v2.4.0 (b805). I do not know if the console platform makes a difference or not but I am using a RH4. I discovered a few other odd things during my testing too. This is my first time to use Kinds so I could be missing some step.

Like you I launched a new show and patched 2 Studio Spot 250s. I opened the Kind window and copied the base Read Only Position Kind to position 8 in the Kind palette. It then shows up first in my Kind keys. I selected the option to Separate Parameters pressed Apply and then renamed it Separate Position. I also created another Kind by pressing Record on an empty slot in the Kind palette. I manually added Intensity, Pan & Tilt and set the option to Separate Parameters. It now became number 9 and my second Kind key. In all the steps below the pressing of the Kind Key is on the console and not from unguarded palette buttons.

Sequence #1
    Clear
    Press Position Key
    Clear
    1+2
    Touch Tilt (Pan gets a value of zero; works as expected)

Sequence #2
    Left the default Position Kind selected
    Clear
    Press the new "Separate Position" Kind Key
    1+2
    Touch Tilt [Pan gets a 0 value; does not work as expected)

Sequence #3
    Clear
    Press the Intensity Kind key
    Clear
    1+2
    Touch Tilt (Pan does not get a value; works as expected)

Sequence #4
    Press Position Key
    Clear
    1+2
    Press the Beam Key
    Touch the Gobo wheel (show Open as expected)
    Touch Tilt (Pan does not get a value; works as expected)

Sequence #2 works if I select the Separate Position Kind before selecting fixtures. In sequence #3 I am able to get the Separate Position Kind working if I start with Intensity Kind instead of Position. In sequence #4 I am able to get it working right if I switch to some other Kind first (e.g. Beam) and touch a parameter. I get the same results if I use the Kind I created from scratch in place of the Separate Position Kind that was a copy of the default Position with the Separate Parameters option selected.

Kevin Montagne