Smal Pixel mapping

is there in the next update a pixel mapping or what are the plans?
it will be useful even if you have only 20 sunstrips or led fixtures
the video you do with a media server but for those little things very handy:)
  • Hello David,

Pixel mapping is something we have talked about but I do not know when it we will do it, sorry.
  • I think this type of feature would have been useful on all the shows I have done in the last 12 months.
  • Just a question:
    How large are the arrays we are talking about here?
    Are you talking about some bitmaps that get animated? Running movies?

When I need to do pixel-mapping I always prefer a media-server. Because most of the times 8 or more universes are used.
  • I think that pixel mapping is necessary. On large scale projects a media server is great. However on the MA I can map a graphic to PARS, strobes, movers. Color and intensity is mappable. This makes for some very easy and dramatic effects.

I am a total hog fan. I think that not having this in their software on a desk of this calibre is a real mistake.

Much as I hate to admit it, my friends running their MA's can smoke me on certain jobs, simply because that feature exists.

Being able to assign mapping to anything makes some jobs ridiculously easy. I think that this is something that needs to be addressed and added. Without it, I think that not having this feature when other desks costing less have a wonderful implementation of it is a serious oversight.
  • I agree that is missing.
    But really I wanted to know what you would like to do?
    Run Movies? Playback a bitmap and animate it?
    Array size? 10x10 Pixel? 10 x 20 Pixel? 100 x 100 Pixel?
    In which scenarios are you using console internal pixelmapping
  • If I need to run movies or full video then at that point, I would use media servers. However I think that the ability to map a small movie (i.e. a flag waving) onto a set of LED fixtures would be great.

A Bitmap would be ideal. 100x100 or 320x320. Or 16x16. I think that any would be better than what we have currently.

I would use bitmaps for intensity chases, color chases, simple LED walls. Color effects and strobe effects.

I love the Hog. I have spent a lot of my hard earned money using them and buying them. I also have avoided the MA a lot, simply because I liked my hog. However, I cannot ignore that the MA and Chamsys can do some things that the Hog cannot.

I am seeing more and more designers request the MA. I think it is simply because it has some key features that the hog console is missing. When I talk to ops and other designers, they all love the hog, they simply lament the missing features. A number of them have told me that they moved over because of the lack of these features and support.

I just replaced my Hog 3 with a Fullboar 4. I debated on buying a full Hog 4. It was a tough decision, I loved the desk. I decided not to because I felt that software wise the Hog 4 was not a great deal. For what it cost it was lacking a number of key features that another desk has for the same price.

Pixel Mapping, is a necessity in todays lighting world. It makes LED programming simpler, it allows complex effects.

I kind of look at this as a Mac versus PC argument. (I am a mac guy BTW) I hear my friends who love Hog tout it. My MA friends tout the MA. While I think that the Hog has a much friendlier interface, I cannot ignore some of the wonderful features that the MA has.

I will use whatever system will do the job best. Sadly I have had to pick the MA on a number of jobs because of what it does and the hog does not.
  • Ok...
    100x100 pixel RGB for example....
    Thats 30.000 DMX Channels... Guys keep it serious... Have you ever done this?
    59 Universes....
    How high needs to be the resolution or at least the distances for the viewer to see a waving flag as it what it is meant to be...
    Just thinking of the 50 stars of the flag of the USA...

So thats why i was asking what are you really using? What you need pixel-mapping for in a console?
    I agree with small bitmaps like letters and numbers, stars etc to use with Jarags etc
    But for the the rest... See my example above... This means a lot of processing and also external hardware, 100x100 pixels matrix would need 4 DP8K
    For the same money I can get a mediaserver that can do more.
  • I am aware how many DMX channels that would be. Not intending that in the post. What I mean is the ability to use images of that size. How you map the matrix would be smaller.
    I agree with the media server. For some show needs a built in mapping ability would be very useful.

I have seen mapping done in a 4 universe show that was quite nice.
  • I would rather have HES spend their time and effort on developing a richer set of control features than adding a Bell and Whistle just because other consoles have it.

Just my humble opinion...

JB
  • I agree on a richer control set. I feel that this is part of a control set. I have seen how useful it is, and even at a minimal level would be much used.